Here are the things we check and adjust or add when doing a complete SEO Checkup and Boost on your website:
Not everything in the list below will be applicable to your site and some things not on the list below will be checked and tweaked if found to be lacking during the process.
- Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools Setup
- Sitemap update and submit to Webmaster Tools
- Google Search Console
- Check/Setup Bing Webmaster Tools
- Install/Setup/Check Yoast SEO Wordpress plugin
- Check Google’s Search Console for 404 / 500 errors, duplicate content, missing titles and other technical errors that Google has found.
- Use Browseo to find even more technical errors.
- Use Screaming Frog to find broken links, errors, and crawl problems.
- Check length of title tags ~65 characters or less.
- Meta description tags ~155 characters or less.
- Usage of H1 tag on pages and posts. Is keyword in the tag? Is it before (H2, H3, H4…) tags? Only using 1 H1?
- Content length over 100 words for important pages and posts.
- Check for synonym possibilities in copy.
- Check images for descriptive ALT tags and filenames.
- Are you linking to your internal pages in an SEO-friendly way? Description of the page linking to in the anchor text.
- Check incoming links. Possibilities for more.
- Check for duplicate content? Utilize 301 redirects, canonical tags or use Google Webmaster Tools to fix any duplicate content that might be indexing and penalizing your site.
- Check absolute URLS.
- Check site speed.
- Submit XML sitemap to Google and Bing Webmaster Tools.
- Check Robots.txt file and submit to Google and Bing Webmaster Tools.
- Check mobile friendliness and adjust if needed.
- Check Authorship markup.
Check profiles, links, and existence of profiles on social and other key sites such as:
When you’re ready to go, just let us know!
~Jack Humphrey, CEO, Brick Road Media
What will all of this do for my search engine rankings and traffic?
It varies from site to site, industry to industry, and is based on where you started. If your setup was pretty decent to begin with, you could notice upticks in rankings and traffic in a 10%-20% range.
If you have some pretty big problems on the site and we fix them, you could see a really big jump in rankings and traffic. Every site on the web that hasn’t been checked this thoroughly in a while will have some problems that need to be addressed and that can improve search traffic.
Rules and best practices change constantly with Google and Bing and no site is immune to those changes. So it is always a good idea to get this work done periodically to make sure you are optimized fully for search.
Get your SEO Checkup and Fix Package Rolling
Turnaround time should be 2 weeks or less for most sites.