Did you know that by simply gaining an understanding of human behavior and the psyche of your target market you have the potential to boost profits and achieve higher levels of success in your business? It is true! The decision to buy is based on a customer’s emotions, the circumstances surrounding the customer’s emotions about the product or service being considered, and the tactics utilized by a business.
If you want to boost profits, you must first start by understanding human behavior. This is the basis of the psychology of sales.
What IS Sales Psychology?
While it is true that people are relatively logical, many decisions that we make in our day-to-day lives are based on emotion. As a result, it is essential to understand that buyer decisions are made at the median of logic and emotion. This is – in short – the psychology of sales.
Sales psychology is the study of the psyche of the individuals who are part of the target market of your business. In focusing on this aspect of your target audience, you will gain an effective understanding of exactly how to “sell” to those people.
Long gone are the days when you must convince your target audience that they absolutely need your product and/or service.
These days, we place an emphasis on the emotional needs of the target audience and how your business can HELP them fulfill those needs.
Once you understand your market, the psychology of sales can help you view things from the perspective of your target audience. It helps you to understand what drives them when they make decisions. It helps you identify how you can truly assist those in fulfilling a need that they have in their lives. It involves knowing that the sales that you make are not about you, your business, and/or the products and/or services that you offer.
It is about your customer, period.
What are the Psychological Triggers That Encourage a Purchase?
By gaining an effective understanding of human behavior and that which encourages a customer to buy, you will find that you have a tremendous advantage in producing sales. The basis of this understanding has a fundamental element – a psychological trigger. These triggers actually encourage a person to make a sale. To make this process a bit easier for you, we have outlined the top psychological triggers with a bit of an explanation below:
- Creating a Meaningful Connection – It does not matter how social or anti-social that an individual is, connections are essential. We all like to build relationships in our lives – whether we like to admit it or not. Why? Because it is a meaningful and positive connection with one another. To create these connections with your target audience, you must place an emphasis on branding your business. You must also make an effort to give your business a personality all of its own. Finally, it is important to engage in activities where you and your business interact on a personal level with your target audience.
- Establish Your Expertise – In order to be trusted and respected, you must establish the expertise of the business that you own and/or operate in your given industry or niche. Those in your target audience do not want to just go with any business and do not want to take risks. One of the best ways to display your expertise is to integrate a blog into your website where you may share search-engine-optimized content related to your industry/niche with your target audience. You may also engage in sharing information and interacting with your target audience on various social media platforms such as Facebook, X, and Instagram.
- Cognitive Restructuring – When members of your target audience stumble across the products and/or services that you offer, they have discovered those items of interest – typically – while searching for a problem that they currently have. One of the best sales psychology strategies when looking to attract your target audience is called “cognitive restructuring”. In short, this is where you take the individual’s “problem” and you get them to change the way that they actually look at or perceive that problem. You take the individual’s pain point and use basic psychology to alter their way of thinking by displaying the value of the products and/or services that you offer. It sounds complicated, but it is not. For example, instead of focusing on constant headaches, you could explain that the headache is not the problem; it is the fact that the customer is getting eye strain but that your computer screen magnifier is the solution to the headaches.
- The Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) – If you have ever researched any type of sales tactic, you know and understand what FOMO means. In short, people do not want to be left out, alone, or left behind. In sales psychology, you may use this tactic to encourage the sales of the products and/or services that your business offers. People say that they do not do it, but the truth of the matter is many still DO try to keep up with those “Joneses”. You can use this to your advantage when it comes to marketing that which your business has to offer. Convince your target audience that others are on board, utilize influencer marketing, and encourage them to join “the loop” and you will find that you start to make sales.
- Give and You Will be Given – If you want your target audience to purchase from your business and you are not experiencing the success that you desire, you should consider GIVING something. Then, you will be given a sale! Yes, it is as easy as that! If you give away something, the customer who receives it may be willing to reciprocate your kindness by making a purchase. This is often referred to as the “reciprocity principle”. It could be something as simple as a coupon code, a $20 gift card to Amazon, or something similar in nature – the choice is yours!
What is the 4-Phase Sales Process?
If you have conducted any research into the psychology of sales, it is quite likely that you have heard of the “4-Phase Sales Process”. This should be considered and used if you want to increase your sales. It goes like this:
These steps are measurable and can be easily adopted into your sales marketing plan. By engaging in this process, you can build your email list, reach your target audience through your email marketing campaign, leverage inquiries and leads, expand your reach through the process of social media marketing, and more! It is all based on the psychology of sales and will result in your business reaching new horizons, in terms of success!
Get Help with Sales Psychology Today
We here at Brick Road Media can assist you with your sales psychology marketing endeavors. We specialize in various services. Our main is the construction of modern websites. We help with branding, broken websites, hacked sites, e-commerce websites, blog creation, and more! Custom web development is our specialty. The success of your business is our goal. We encourage you to contact us immediately for assistance. If you are ready to take your online business to new levels, we are standing by to ensure your success.