In order to immediately connect with your target audience, you should include an introduction message on your website. This is a short explanatory text placed in the most prominent of positions on the layout of your web page that informs your visitors of the purpose of the website.
When care is used in crafting this message, it will help internet users determine if they are in the right location.
It is a highly effective element in allowing you to connect directly with your target audience by drawing in their interest and encouraging them to continue through your site. There are many techniques that may be utilized in ensuring optimal design and integration. Continue reading to learn more.
The Goals of the Website Introduction
Each and every single component of a website should have a purpose. Each should support the overall purpose of the website – as a whole. You should utilize a thoughtful approach to the overall design and the actual copy of the text of the website introduction. The following outlines the unique goals of that introductory message:
- The introduction should quickly inform the visitors to the site exactly what it is all about.
- It should provide contextual-based information on what the individual may expect should they elect to spend more time on the website.
- It should also provide hints and/or suggestions on what steps or actions that they may take immediately while on the website. Essentially, this is an integrated and early call to action.
Website Introduction Design Tips
Your introduction message should be compelling. It should drive a visitor to take immediate action in the ways that you desire. It must compliment your overall purpose and intent for creating the website. The following outlines several design tips that will allow your introduction to fulfill its purpose and lend to your website’s overall success:
- Focus on Being Concise – The home page of your website should accomplish several goals. First, it should place an emphasis on what visitor’s should be looking for when on the site. Next, it should clearly outline where they should start and how they may proceed. Finally, it should lend to establishing the credibility of your company. To accomplish this, you need to focus on being as concise as possible. Generally speaking, all of this should be accomplished in one to three sentences. If you succeed in being concise, you can experience an increase in overall usability in up to 124%.
- Instruct on What to Do – It has been found that most individuals leave websites because they simply do not know what to do once they arrive on the site. For this reason, it is imperative that your introduction message specializes in provoking a certain action from your visitors. Perhaps the visitors that land on your page do want to become one of your customers, but they simply are not familiar with exactly how to do this. You must direct them. It is not enough to simply explain all that you are bringing to the table; you must also include a call to action element that instructs your website’s visitors on what steps they must take next. The goal is to generate leads and to drive sales. To succeed in these, tell the visitors to your website exactly what you want them to do when there.
- Make Use of Your Headline – The headline is a very important element in assisting with your website introduction. When it comes to space on your home page for content, it is actually quite limited; therefore, you have to make certain that the headline counts. The main headline carries an immense degree of power. It will help draw the visitors to the actual copy on your page. The spacing around the headline ensures that it is quite distinct. In its own way, the headline also instructs visitors in terms of where to look and provides a main point that will help in the introductory message. Finally, ensure that the headline is above-the-fold.
- Short and Simple – When composing the introduction message for your website, it is critical that you keep it short and simple. Remember, you are not trying to explain every little thing about your company or your website. You are simply attempting to compel your website visitors to keep reading and moving through the website. You must spark an interest. You must create copy that lends to the visitor wanting to read and learn more. The headline should grab attention, while the introduction copy should leave your visitor curious and wanting to learn more. You may succeed in this endeavor by simply featuring a bold and highly unique claim. This is a great way to capture attention and leave readers wanting more.
- Value is Critical – What you offer visitors on your website holds value. As soon as your target audience makes it to your website, you must show them the exact value of what it is that you are offering them. While you may believe it is obvious, it is still critical that you actually outline it, or spell it out for your visitors. Each visitor that you receive on your website has a problem or issue that they want to solve. The “value” that you offer is the “solution” that they are looking for when visiting your site; therefore, you must clearly outline this in your introduction message.
- Call to Action Placement – The call to action is one of the most critical components to your introduction message. It should be clear and direct. This call to action will encourage individuals that visit your website to convert. While the call to action copy is very important, the placement holds a level of importance, too. It should not be overshadowed by anything else on your home page. When designing and creating the introduction message, the call to action should be the only interactive feature on the page. If there are many interactive elements on the page, your visitors may not interact with the call to action. According to Hick’s Law, the fewer interactive elements that your website has, the faster it will be capable of converting users. When creating your introduction message, be certain to keep this in mind.
- Grab Attention with Graphics – When it comes to your website introduction, copy is the most critical component to your success; however, the utilization of graphics is important, too. Visual components are capable of creating a highly positive impact. In fact, if done correctly, graphics have the capability of being just as effective as a well-composed headline and written message at capturing a visitor’s attention and creating the urge to learn more. According to statistics, visitors are capable of remembering up to 65% of the visual content that they view up to 3 days after viewing it; whereas, the same individuals are likely to only remember up to 10% of that which they read 3 days later. When using graphics, just avoid the urge to utilize image carousels. This could lead to interfering with the train of thought in your visitors and may also result in slow load times, which many major search engines may correlate with “poor quality” website design.
- Utilize White Space – When creating an introduction message on your website, you should utilize white space as it will allow the graphics, text, and other elements on your site to be separated easily. It also makes it easier to ensure that you are capable of drawing attention to certain elements of your page. In taking this step, you are able to provide each of those elements with a proper amount of space. In turn, this creates a very user-friendly experience for individuals that visit your website. It also allows your visitors to zoom in their attention on the areas that you want them to zoom in on while on the home page.
- Focus on Orientation – Remember, the home page is supposed to be short, concise, and to the point. When creating your introduction message and the other pieces – such as graphics and interactive elements – that you will place on your home page, you must remember that it should focus more on orientating rather than explaining. You should simply present the main subject of the website to your visitors. You should make it easy for those visitors to reach the page that they have an interest in, and you should include links to the most significant of all of your pages on the website. This will also enhance the search engine optimization of your page.
- Incorporate Personality – To truly connect with your target audience through the website introduction, do not forget to incorporate a little personality. Perception is reality. You must be perceived as a “real” person, offering “real” solutions. If you allow some of your personality to shine through, you will succeed in this endeavor. When it comes to connections, personality is critical. Robotic tones will create robotic feels. Personality will attract personality. By displaying a little personality, you are likely to display a lot of attractiveness to your target audience.
When creating a website introduction, it is imperative that you place an emphasis on the design and layout process, but remember, the home page of your website is merely the “transition” that gets your visitors closer to the content and/or product that you are advertising.
You do not have to express all that there is to express in your introduction message. This is just a little bit of an orientation to that which you really want your visitors to do and/or to see.
The introduction message is a means of providing text and/or graphics that truly encapsulates what it is that your website is all about.
While it may not be possible, it is often best to create the content of your website, following by the home page and the components of the home page – such as the introduction message. This allows you to write directly from experience and familiarity.
The content and products being on your website serves as a type of blueprint for creating the introduction message on the home page.
You know the direction of your content, the flow of your content, how it will benefit your target audience, and the main keywords and keyword phrases that you utilize – all of which may prove to be exceptionally helpful when composing the introduction message on your homepage.
Once you have your introduction message built into your website’s home page, you should constantly evaluate the site to determine how your target audience is interacting with that page. You may utilize special types of monitoring programs, heat mapping, and similar means to evaluate the performance of your website.
User behaviors are highly critical for the successful layout of your home page and how well your introduction message is working. It is essential that you constantly test the various elements that you place on your introduction message page to ensure that it is optimized for the highest level of visitor usability.
Research website monitoring tools such as Scroll Map, Overlay Report, List Report, Heatmap, Recordings, and even A/B Testing to constantly evaluate your website.
Make adjustments as necessary. Remember, your website is not about “you”; it is about your users. You must make changes that adapt to the behaviors of those users. In doing so, you will truly connect to your target audience.
Let Us Help
We here at Brick Road Media specialize in creating content, designing websites, and evaluating sites for usability. We can take your business from the “real” world and easily transition it into the “virtual world”; which is where all of today’s real actions truly take place.
We offer many features and services that will benefit your virtual real estate and render you the levels of success that you wish to reach.
Today, we can start the process of transitioning your business and setting you up for higher levels of profitability. For more information, contact us today at: https://brickroadmedia.com/contact/