In our last guide here at Brick Road Media, we expounded on the basics of creating a great survey to uncover information from your targeted audience. In this guide, we will provide an overview of the basics of the questionnaire.
What is the Market Research Questionnaire?
The market research questionnaire is the list of questions presented to customers or potential customers. The purpose and intent of the questionnaire is to gain insight into the perception or the general opinion on a set subject matter.
That subject matter usually pertains directly to the product and/or service that your company offers.
The questions aid in gathering information on the needs of the consumer, as well as their interests. They may also help in gaining information on pricing and related concepts, through the eyes of the consumer.
What is the Main Reason You Would Send Marketing Research Questions to Consumers?
The main reason why it is important to conduct marketing research in the form of a questionnaire is to gather information that will allow you to make highly effective decisions that will aid in the growth of your business. These questionnaires will help you sell to the customers that you currently have.
The questions will also assist in uncovering the needs and wants of potential customers. This will allow you to gain an even larger customer base.
What Answers Should Market Research Questionnaires Provide You?
Generally speaking, there are several basic answers that the market research questionnaires that you send out will provide you. These include the following:
- First, you will uncover who your ideal customer is – on a general level. This is made possible through questions that gather demographic responses. These include gender, location, income, and education. By obtaining this information, you will gather a better understanding of the preferences of your target audience and will be able to focus all future marketing decisions on your understanding.
- Next, you will uncover exactly what it is that your target audience struggles with on a regular basis. For example, if your business places an emphasis on providing accessories for those that camp regularly, you may inquire about that which provides the highest level of frustration to them when camping. For example, you may find that rain experienced during camping places strain on the consumer’s ability to cook outdoors. As a result of the answers you receive, you may determine it ideal to provide a camping product that protects the outdoor region of the camping area, such as a pop-up tarp protection product.
- Next, your market research questionnaires will provide you with information that will let you know what customers really want – especially from a company that offers the products and services that you offer. Most will not actually want that which does not yet exist. For this reason, you may present potential solutions and have the respondents rate each of them.
- If you have an interest in successfully building your brand, you will need to conduct marketing analysis and a complete analysis of your competitive edge; that is, that which sets you apart from others in your industry. To succeed in this with your marketing research questions, you must focus on inquiries relating to customer satisfaction. You may even be able to put your products and services up against that which your competition offers and have the respondents rate each. The information that you obtain will surely be very valuable in determining the competitive edge that you possess and how to use it to your advantage.
- The questions that you ask will help you in determining what benefits that individuals perceive of the products and services that your business offers. It is a known fact that when people make purchases, they do so based on their emotions. We must ensure that the products and services that we offer provide an emotional connection with our customers. In order to obtain this information, you may utilize matrix-based questions that allow a customer to use a scale that allows them to “agree” or “disagree”.
- Next, you will be able to use your marketing research questions to determine exactly WHO is purchasing your products and/or services. While geographical and demographical information should be obtained, it is also important to obtain psychographic information through the questions that you ask.
- Your questions should allow you to determine why – exactly – individuals purchase from your company. Ultimately, try to uncover what need your products and/or services provide. You may also dig to determine the perceived value of that which you offer, based on the opinions of your current and potential customers. It is possible that the products and/or services that your business offers fills a need in a direct or indirect way. You should learn which way it goes and place an emphasis on that.
- Just like you can determine why people are making purchases from you, your questions can also determine exactly why some are NOT purchasing from you. This will aid in figuring out if there are any type of shortcomings or problems with that which you offer. You may also be able to pinpoint at what particular milestone customers put a halt to purchasing items from your business. Not only can this assist you in determining the most successful way to conduct business, it can help you improve that which you are currently offering. This may rest in the actual product or service or in the marketing or presentation of that product or service.
- The market research questionnaire should help you determine who you have the potential to make a sale to in the future. This will require information on your current customers and a little bit of creativity on your end. For example, if you are located in the Midwest with that camping company previously mentioned, do not let go of the possibility that individuals in the Southeast may want to purchase what you offer for their camping trips. Just for the record, a lot more rain happens in the Southeast! This means you can expand the accessories that you specialize in and offer to the public.
- In the same respect, you may determine who is actually making purchases of that which you offer. This is important because it can assist you in determining the purchase behavior of individuals. It will allow you to figure out the preferences and needs of that audience. In gathering this information, you will be able to identify patterns in purchases and general behavior. This will allow you to better cater to your current customers and likely attract a few new customers.
- The questionnaire that you use for marketing research will help you figure out why your brand stands out and what it is that clients see in your brand and trust. Once you determine all of this, you can build on it. While there is no such thing as perfection in a brand, it is possible to build on the positive aspects of your brand and get it as close to perfect as possible. Place a focus on customers. Your goal is not to make sales; rather to appeal to those that you service. You should make certain that the questions you ask focus on identifying ways to become better for those that you provide goods and/or services to. In doing so, you are sure to reach a higher level of success.
- Finally, the questions that you present in your marketing research endeavors should allow you to determine improvements that may be made to the products and services that you offer. In improving that which you offer, you will find that you will be able to reach a wider audience. Remember, there is never a way to reach the maximum number of clients that you may obtain. There is always someone out there, somewhere, that needs what you have to offer. Your questionnaire will help you discover those individuals.
Contact Us Today
We here at Brick Road Media specialize in success – your success. We know and understand that your business is your passion. It is our passion, too! We can assist you by constructing a website that will instantly attract your target audience, and more! We possess over 20 years of direct experience in both web development and the design process behind it. We know what is valuable to each of our clients and strive to ensure that each experiences the success that they desire, and more! Our specialties are modern websites, ecommerce, monthly content, and more! To get started with us, we encourage you to contact us immediately at: 765-439-4029